Sunday, November 29, 2009

Files

So here is the first unit I'm trying to define, the "file":

term "file" (n):

- CONTAINER for data
- HAS name
- either (data IS text) or (data IS binary)

- IN filesystem
- IN directory
- IN path

- ACTOR reads file
- ACTOR writes file

- ACTOR opens file -> file IS open
- ACTOR reads data FROM open file
- ACTOR writes data TO open file


I foresee an indexing script that can read this stuff and tell me what terms are used but not yet defined. Capital words are intended to be non-domain-specific. It's going to be a convention, not a requirement.

The current definition is here, but I want to capture intermediate versions here on the blog. My approach here is really to write the pseudocode, then write a system that understands the pseudocode directly - thus converting the pseudocode into code in a very different way from that usually taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment