Friday, April 16, 2010

Why Perl?

Occasionally I'm beset by the worry that I've chosen Perl as the basis for all this development. Wouldn't some other language be a better choice?

All I can say in my defense is that my brain seems to work better with Perl for some reason. It's not that I've done a great deal of work in Perl - I've written more lines of C and Tcl. It's not that I have no exposure to other languages - I've worked in Python and Scheme. And while I enjoy the joke that Perl is a write-only language as well as the next programmer, still - when I look at my own code written in Perl, I can read it more easily than my own code, let alone that of others, in other languages.

Then there's CPAN. Oh, sure, half the stuff on CPAN is alpha-quality just-off-the-ground stuff, but oddly enough, it's usually enough to get me off the ground on a given project. Then, after I've got something halfway done, I can rewrite the CPAN modules that weren't what I wanted, and get the rest of the way.

At the end of the day, all programming is about semantics. You are taking the inchoate space of possible meaning, and narrowing it down to the meaning that gets you where you want to go. I find it easy to do that in Perl, for whatever reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment