Saturday, February 5, 2011

Mail handling

I just keep coming to this, don't I?

Mail::Box is a hueueuge mess. It doesn't load from CPAN on Windows, and reviews indicate that while it does a whole lot of things right, it makes a lot of very weird and undocumented assumptions that I, for one, just don't care for. So I'd like to do ... something ... for local email handling that starts more or less from scratch. Sigh. Then wrap it in Decl and a UI, and we're off to the races with something nobody cares about.

(I just really want to be able to write Perl filters for incoming mail, dammit.)

So ... Mail::MboxParser looks like a good start, maybe. Unfortunately, it relies on Mail::Mbox::MessageParser, which also assumes a Unix environment that may or may not pertain (CPAN testing fares poorly on Windows platforms - including mine). The reason here seems to be that it wants to incorporate compressed mailboxes using an external gzip. Why is that in the core module? Ugh.

I dunno. MIME::Tools is certainly definitive for handling individual messages, so perhaps I don't even want to worry about anything but that. Even MIME::Tools is horrible enough.

Email is a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment