Sunday, August 28, 2011

Decl integration with Padre; musings about actions

Something I haven't spent much actual development time on yet, but ... it's starting to seem that the natural working mode of Decl will be to state that an action will be necessary, then to invoke various interactive services to specify that action more specifically.

So for example, if I have an invoice to issue (yes, yes, yawn) I'd start by just stating, "invoice" and passing that to ... some kind of action-consuming agent. The agent looks at this, sees that it is underspecified, and starts a conversation with me to determine just what it is I expect to do.

Once the action is fully specified (a customer has been selected, one or more outstanding jobs selected, and so on), then I can say, "Do it", and it is done, logged, whatever.

So what interfaces are available to me? Well, let's assume I want to be able to see the structure as it is built: that structure should be in Padre. With Padre::Plugin and Padre::Document, I can do that. Really easily, actually. The documentation sucks incredibly because it's not exactly a mature environment yet - but it's a great design.

So I could easily imagine right-clicking on anything in a Decl tree and getting immediate expert tools to deal with it: set up a database, select boilerplate, etc. It should end up going really fast. I'm looking forward to exploring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment