Sunday, July 29, 2012

Document automation

Eesh.  I've been wanting to get into document automation since I discovered that Word can be automated (um, you don't want to know how long that is) and so now, as I'm finally taking the plunge and automating my invoicing process, I'm looking at it in more detail.

There are a lot of document automation packages out there.

  • Wikipedia page
  • MSDN article on document automation in Word.  Still pretty much Win32::Word::Declarative's domain.  (It also suggests "document assembly" as an additional keyword.)
  • There are scads of commercial products for automation of documents in business. [1] is just one example.
  • The FormTool apparently aids document preparers in automating their own workflow on a much smaller-scale basis.  The Pro version has more sophisticated language models that look pretty interesting.  Worth looking at.  Worth redoing, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment