Friday, September 28, 2012

Freemind

I've encountered Freemind before, but a very interesting programming strategy article popped up today: Freemind lets you extend your working memory by indexing knowledge in an accessible manner.

On the one hand, I do find this a very exciting concept. I had to do something on Unix just the other day and - as freaking always - it took me twenty times the amount of time it should have, because I have no memory of commands and parameter structures at all.  I never have.  So I certainly need something like this to back me up.

But on the other hand, I just can't believe that this somewhat simplistic structure is the thing to do that job.  Maybe it is - it would certainly be better than nothing, which is what I use now.  And I certainly have to admit that the look of the program is fantastic - much, much better than the last time it crossed my sights.

But it's Java.  Not.. that I have a personal and burning hatred for Java or anything, but it's a way conservative language and I'm a way liberal programmer, so it fits my style poorly.  I've never been able to get mental traction with it.  (Maybe now would be the time.)

And the other thing: it's too restricted.  It's a single hierarchical structure (or so it appears right now), with no multidimensional tagging or sorting, no alternative structures like maybe tables embedded, the text seems restricted in size...  If I had a more extensible structure I'd be more interested.

Something like it based on Decl or actually integrated into the language would probably be closer to what I want.  After all, Decl is supposed to be there to model mental maps.  A graphical interface seems like a logical tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment