Saturday, April 6, 2013

Here's an idea

Open-source music.

No, no, hear me out.  I'm a sucker for electronica, you see (currently I get most of my music input from RauteMusik in Germany; their "HardeR" channel is normally a decent stimulus for productive work).  Since electronica is already computer-generated, it would be simple (hhahahaha) to write source code for it, plus maybe some samples, I said more distortion, and compile the thing into a finished piece.

With me so far?

OK, so the "source" to such a piece would be the various melody definitions, waveform samples, processing rules, and "orchestration" (the overall architecture of the piece) - and you could put that on Github to let people fork it, you see.

Wouldn't that be neat?  Of course it would.  It would be like the Toon-o-Matic except for sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment