Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A thought on code organization

Well, it's a pretty thin thought. Mostly this: These Actionscript examples I'm looking at tonight instead of doing the paying work are a freaking mess. They build stuff, and move stuff, and do all sorts of things in messy imperative ways. Now, obviously I can't write Declarative for Actionscript - but I could write a sort of front-end that would compile to Actionscript.

But if I do that, then, then, well then I've written a front-end that could compile to anything. A sort of Code::Declarative, if you will. And I'm not at all sure I truly understand what that would look like, although to a certain extent it's obviously what this entire venture is fumbling towards.

So maybe I should spend a little thought on just what it means to compile to a text file. I mean, structured text is not such an outré concept.

It's really a macro system again. I wish I could implement just one version of a macro system so I could see how many ways it fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment