Thursday, August 5, 2010

UML

I always figured UML would be interesting to look at in more detail, and once I even bought a book. (UML has been around so long I still had the habit of buying a book to learn about it, back then.) But ultimately, every time I look hard, it seems to be Much Ado about Nothing - or at least a little too much ado about Java class definitions.

But here comes an interesting blog post Wiki page from a couple years back talking about some kind of wacky pseudocode UML description language that could compile into pictures or something - look at it! Significant indentation! Great minds, apparently.

The graphics tools he's talking about there are collectively UmlGraph, which I ran across Googling on the word "declarative". You find the most interesting things trawling on some keywords.

Anyway. I already mentioned UML back in the first days of this blog as one of those systems that is "kind of like, but not" what I want to do. Its semantics, though, are intriguing. UML as a set of semantics for sketching solutions is a good intuition.

No comments:

Post a Comment