Wednesday, October 3, 2012

SQP

I factored something I ended up calling SQP out of the invoicing program.  It's a shell-based rapid SQL/Perl prototyping tool.  So far it's just got a quick way to find a database, use it for SQL, check the SQL for a couple of foot-shooting methods (forgetting 'where' clauses on delete and update), and add a command for each Perl script it finds in the directory.

It needs to be able to show/define/modify tables in some way, which it doesn't yet, and some other functionality is also still missing.  But it's a promising start.

Oh, and it still doesn't have any testing.  I mean, the whole thing is like fifty lines of code, but I'm sure there are plenty of ways I can fail when I change it next.

Other things to factor out:
  • A Word template handler that's not the barely functional Decl monstrosity I'm using now, based on:
  • A Word module that's a thin wrapper around the OLE object description, written in a declarative style using:
  • A declarative OLE module wrapper definition language module.
  • Some kind of ORM for the invoicing part, anyway.  Not sure how to manage it, exactly.  But I'd really like some kind of higher-level language for talking about SQL databases at the level of semantics (grouping tables into meaningful modules or something).  I'm sure somebody else is already doing something like this, so I'll also see if I can't research that.

No comments:

Post a Comment