Saturday, November 27, 2010

Getopt::Lucid and Term::Shell

Perl brass tacks: I'm basing my command-line handling on Getopt::Lucid. And in the end, I think I'm going to just end up writing my own Term::Shell replacement that pretty much works like that. The events in an event context can be seen as commands, so just invoking some "shell" conversation against an arbitrary event context will be pretty cool. But Term::Shell is just a little too hardwired to make that entirely useful. So we'll see. Either way, both modules have been open tabs on my browser for a couple of weeks now and it's time to clean up and leave a little nonvolatile state.

Update after looking more closely at the Term::Shell source - it would be folly not to subclass Term::Shell. There's a lot of really cool stuff in there. I just have to have an automagical way of setting up the commands - which is easy - and I'm good to go. This will be very cool!

From looking at the code, it looks as though Term::Shell can run under Tk somehow, but Google isn't being very forthcoming about that. It would be nice to be able to use Term::Shell in a Wx context. Very nice, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment