Saturday, November 13, 2010

Target application: poker

I swear, this blog is starting to be less about techniques and more about me rediscovering how many fun things there are to program in the world.

This time, as so very often, the trigger was an HNN post about poker bots, leading me to investigate the poker sites still legal in the US and eventually find the software download page for one of them, Full Tilt.

Thing is, the poker sites don't want bots for one simple reason: if people think they're losing because machines are cheating them, the poker site loses users and therefore money. However, to be perfectly honest, a poker bot would be a good way to make a little money every day while learning a whole lot about AI techniques.

I'm sorely tempted. Really and truly, especially given my heritage as the grandson of a professional poker player.

Update: Full Tilt has fallen on hard times lately; as of November 16, 2011, the link goes to a "US-only" page discussing disbursement of remaining funds held by US residents. But hey - in half a year I'll be living in Europe! So poker can wait until then; Europe loves poker.

No comments:

Post a Comment