Sunday, November 28, 2010

Win32::Word::Declarative

So for some time I've needed a way to slap together scripts for Word that don't rely on Word's own scripting. I used to do this stuff in Python, but now I've gotten Win32::Word::Declarative to the point where it can generate an attractive document as, say, an invoice.

This is an important milestone, but it doesn't get me all the way to an actual invoicing system. I need to have a few more components first:
  • Something like Document::Declarative to manage the actual files, repositories, and templates - I go back and forth as to whether that should be inherent in the language or split out into a document-management semantics
  • Mapping to apply templates and create abstract documents and expressed document
  • Database retrieval to obtain customer information and so on, not to mention to determine what goes into invoicing in the first place
  • The hierarchical configuration system (this would apply to templates)
  • Probably something like a general semantics system; this is kind of intuitive, but I get the feeling that this is how you'll be able to say "I want an invoice and this is what an invoice is".
So. Getting there, but not yet there. A whole lot closer than last week, though. I think there may be enough working in Win32::Word::Declarative that I can put v0.01 on CPAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment