Saturday, June 11, 2011

Target application: photo archive

I know photo archives have been done to death, but I need one, and I might as well do it in Decl, right? I've got directory and file support now, so defining an archive with special properties should be a cinch.

Here's my problem: I take a lot of pictures. Well, that's not the problem - the real problem is that I do it while traveling, so the pictures end up on my laptop or my desktop. And some of them my wife wants on her laptop for the screen saver, etc. Then there's the fact I'd like to share some out to Flickr, print them at Meijers by way of Snapfish, and so on.

As you know, I love Unison for file synchronization, but it's not quite fine-grained enough - I can't keep a subset of an archive somewhere, because Unison doesn't really have the concept of different machines, just "local" and "remote" for each pair of machines at a time. (Which begs the question of file synchronization between specific sets of machines - but I'm not going there yet.) (Yet.)

So what I really want is a synchronized index, and a central storage location by means of which files can be retrieved in bulk based on queries.

That sounds pretty refined. I think it might require an API. In other words, it's perfect for a semantic programming experiment. So: target application.

No comments:

Post a Comment