Sunday, May 27, 2012

Thinking about book compilation

I defy you to find anything about compiling books with Google.  I get a lot of interesting links to books about compiling, though.

So this time, I'm trying (for once) not to reinvent the wheel, and use something already written to compile my books, and I keep coming back to Wiki compilers, of which there are several in the Perl universe.  The top contender seems to be Ikiwiki - it's actively developed and supported, has a great plugin structure, and already runs on top of a VCS out of the box, which is exactly what I want.

The only thing that worries me is this: how much is a tutorial series like a Wiki?  I suspect I'm overthinking this, so I'm just going to install Ikiwiki and try writing some tutorials and formatting them.  Someday I'm going to have to learn just to start.

Update: Oops.  Ikiwiki appears to be non-Windows-compatible due to a sad predilection for colons in its filenames (and maybe other reasons, I don't know yet).  I'd still like to see if I can get it running, but if not, then maybe I'll be reinventing that wheel after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment