Monday, December 3, 2012

Rich text editing

I'm kind of kicking the notion of rich text source code around in my head, although I'm honestly not sure it's a good idea.

The cheapest, easiest way for me to start doing this would simply be to kick some RTF out of Perl into a notes file and call Word on it.  If I go that route, Perl has some RTF support (RTF::Tokenizer) that will probably do what I need it to do.

Alternatives would be to be a different rich text editor.  Scintilla isn't it - but Wx does include a rich text control.  That's one route.  The other would be to run as a server and pop up a CKEditor window.  I have to admit I really like this notion.  (See also Maplat's DocsTextEditor; Maplat in general looks pretty cool and not entirely unlike what I'd like to do in this arena, in terms of the document management aspects.)

The obvious advantage to using a little server to serve up an app is that it's getting to be a lot easier to write UI as HTML5, and of course you get the remote option then.

No comments:

Post a Comment